Wednesday 5 May 2010

Tuesday May 4: Book Aid International back in Zimbabwe

This is Rob Sarjant, BAI's Head of Programmes and Operations, reporting from Zimbabwe, on BAI's first visit there since 2004, and my first since 2002. I am expecting many changes as the last few years have been, as most people know, difficult in Zimbabwe but we have been told that things are now gradually improving and it is a good time to visit.

I touchdown in Harare a little late after cold fog delayed the connecting flight from Jo'burg. I drop my things off at the hotel and head straight to my first meeting which is with members of the Harare Distribution Committee, one of two committees in Zimbabwe that help clear our consignments through customs and distribute the books throughout Zimbabwe.

It is clear that they have done a tremendous job and are distributing books widely, often with the help of local Rotary clubs. I finish the day at the University of Zimbabwe Library where many BAI books are on reserve for 2 hours only borrowing as they are so popular. Books are sorted and distributed by the Committee at the University.

No comments: